Thursday 2 July 2009

Debt

I was reading this article on medical student debt http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8126233.stm and I don't think the government provide enough support for medical students (especially Scottish graduate applicants).

Like many other graduates I will have to take out a Professional Development Loan of around £20-25,000 with an interest rate of almost 9% pa. As Scotland doesn't have any 4 year graduate entry courses there is no government funding for those taking medicine as a second degree, only a maintenance loan of 4400 (max) which any sensible person would use to cover the fees each year first and foremost. Even worse for me is that because my current degree qualifies me with a profession, I'm not entitled to the reduced fees that Scottish med students get (around £1700 a year) so my fees will be £3500+ by the time I begin the course. With a basic starting salary of 21k (£1322.00 per month after tax, NI student loan deductions) that doesn't leave very much money to live on after a whopping chunk of PDLoan repayment comes off. What a nice way to begin a career.

If only the Gov't provided the scheme here which they have in England: you are responsible to fund your 1st year and the NHS funds the tuition in years 2-4 with a means tested grant and a student loan available. It's a shame they don't have a similar set-up for the 5 year courses in England too.

No comments:

Post a Comment